Friday, January 2, 2009

Welcome 2009!

So my last few runs have been rough. During my last run my legs were just so heavy and stiff, no fun. Today I felt really tight, like my muscles were rubber bands stretched out, my calf was tight and my right hip gets so sore. I know I need to start stretching, but I am so green! I have no idea what I need to be doing. Before and after? One or the other? Sigh, I need to search YouTube for ideas. Any recommendations/suggestions are welcome, whether it is articles, videos, books, what have you. I also wish I had a running group to join. I have googled, but like my venting post below, there don't seem to be many amateur groups in my area. I need a partner! I need motivation! I need direction! I feel so lost.

So today's run I was feeling discouraged with my time. I felt like this running thing is something I will never be able to own. I felt sore and just bad in general. Then I thought about my running friends, how much they have accomplished, I wanted to get off the treadmill and call them to cry and complain. I wanted to hear some motivation from them. Then after I ran a mile, after I felt like my time sucked, after I wanted to hear encouraging words from my friends, after I wanted to get off the treadmill and give up. I realized something. I had just ran a mile, no my time may not have been what I would have wanted, but I just ran a mile! The week of Thanksgiving when I started running I could barely run 30 seconds without having to stop. I had not deliberately exercised in longer than I want to mention, I was already doing so much more than I had been. I needed to stop and remember that. I also realized that my friends can be great support and sounding boards, but the true motivation and encouragement need to come from within.

I finished my run, and then after I thought I couldn't go anymore I walked another mile. I was sore and stiff (still need to look into stretching) but I did it. When I logged into my email I had this quote from http://www.runnersworld.com/ waiting in my inbox:

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical." EMIL ZATOPEK
What perfect timing for such encouraging words. I need to stop and remember that I will not get this overnight. I need to remember that I am improving. I need to remember that sometimes you need to be stronger mentally than physically, because most of the time it is your mind telling you to stop, not your body. I know I will learn so much more via this running venture than how to put one foot in front of the other, I look forward to all that it brings.
My goal for 2009 is to continue to run. Plain and simple. If I continue, I will improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment